Thursday, February 17, 2011

i have not forgotten

Amid the horrid rigamarole I am every day asked to keep track of, America, I have not forgotten you. I don’t get out of bed without the prairies and parking lots, without the wide loads and amber tucked into my collar, the totemic towers stiff in my shirt sleeves making my elbows unbreakable. America, when the cloth that was torn from my chest sets in with its enormous phantom ache like a skin graft taking place somewhere along Highway 58, I think of you, your broken blinker ...

4 comments:

ron hardy said...

Love this Sarah. Like an anthem.

Well Mack the finger said to Louie the King
I got forty red white and blue shoe strings
And a thousand telephones that don't ring
Do you know where I can get rid of these things
And Louie the King said let me think for a minute
son
And he said yes I think it can be easily done
Just take everything down to Highway 61.
-Dylan

SarahJane said...

Hi Ron,
And I love Bob Dylan. I just watched "I'm not There" last night. My 12-year old didn't like it, and it was weird but it was good, too.

ron hardy said...

It is strange. Especially the way Cate Blanchett managed to pull off her role as Dylan.

Sherry O'Keefe said...

yep. this is great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails