Wednesday, December 08, 2010

o come let us adore it

At the train station, they’ve set up a life-size nativity scene with wooden figures. Mary and Joseph are there, the Magi, a couple animules, straw and a cart. In the prominent spot near the front of the scene, however, instead of Jesus they’ve placed a Poinsettia. The figures stand around it looking awe-stricken. One of the Magi goes down on his knee; Mary clasps her hands to her breast, and the sheep and donkey appear dumbstruck and hypnotized by this modest, potted flower. I admit it is hard to look anything other than dumbstruck and hypnotized as a wooden figure, but especially when confronted with such a cheerful little flower.

Anyway, my colleague tells me Jesus is not there yet because he’s traditionally placed in the cradle on the 24th, “when he was actually born.” If we are sticking to the script and the pregnancy calendar, there are a few other details in need of fixing, not the least of which are the Magi, who didn’t show up until January. There’s also the issue of Mary’s trim figure. But I don’t want to spoil the fun, and giving birth to an unassuming, red Poinsettia is probably less taxing than bearing the Lamb of God, before, during & after...

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Why am I laughing?! Anyhoo, I love the poinsettia.

Kass said...

I suppose it's appropriate that Mary has a flower.

Patricia Lockwood said...

I would join a Poinsettia Religion! Where we all gather together in one body and think about how it is spelled, and eat one little leaf each and give thanks we are not poisoned

SarahJane said...

I am sure a poinsettia brings a lot less grief than an actual child, and would not be hung on the cross for any supposed crimes.
I say this as a mother.

ArtSparker said...

Maybe awestruck BECAUSE they are wood- the flower is as they once were.

Related Posts with Thumbnails